Wednesday, October 19, 2016

A Letter to Poe

October, 18, 2016

To: Edgar Allan Poe
From:  Eris Blythe

Dear Mr. Poe, 

I am writing you to review one of your works. I have read your short poem The Cask Of Amontillado
and I must say you have an intriguing style of composition. Although, I admit I was captivated, I found myself disturbed as well. I recognize that this work is critically acclaimed as 'The Best Short Story'  since you mastered the use of multiple types of literary irony. It is difficult to depict well written dramatic, situational and verbal ironies in a one shot story. Every line was ironic in some way.

An example of your genius is the name you chose for the victim in your story. You named him, Fortunado, which means fortunate one yet he is the one to perish in a malevolent scheme. Another ironic instance can be found in the title itself, The Cask Of Amontillado. A cask can mean a large barrel that can be filled with alchoholic beverages but it can also define a casket used for the burial of the deceased. The irony I found most titllating was when Montressor and Fortunado shared a toast between wine glasses and the unsuspecting victim was toasting to his own death.

Your irony goes beyond your books Mr.Poe, for I have found myself taking appreciation to your horrid tale. As a young reader I don't appreciate the tragic topics of revenge and malice but your skillful writing and way with words have earned my attention.

Sincerely,

Eris Blythe


No comments:

Post a Comment