Friday, November 8, 2013

Two Steps Forward One Step Back

     I had a bad experience with public education, my first years were fine but when I got older the math curriculum changed and I was struggling with division, multiplication as well as other parts in math. Both schools I went to (I won't tell names) had very bad math curriculum. Some methods they wanted to use which were "supposedly" easier ways to do math included, "lattice method", "box method" and the the most ferocious " Big 7". These methods were used to teach division and multiplication.
     The more I struggled, my mom decided to send me to a math tutor for half an hour every Friday to do multiplication cards and division work sheets and I did great! I went back to class proud and excited to conquer this math, only to fail again. The reason for all these times I failed was the school was teaching me fake math and my tutor was teaching me real math. My mom had enough and so did I, so  for the Summer I was sent to a math class to give myself a boost. I started learning more by the second and before I knew it I was nailing it! The math was real. I understood the concepts and why repetition in math is important. This helped us decide to homeschool for fifth grade, we've discovered the sky's the limit, cursive is back, I love history and I finish at twelve.

So parents if you or your kid is failing think about what the school is teaching you, Is it real?


No comments:

Post a Comment