Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Excellence on Trial


Composition #20: Excellence on Trial 
With my eyes closed I drew a deep breath, the musty air of the courtroom flowed through my lungs. Upon reopening my eyes, I was met with the glare of the judge towering before me.  He bellowed “Will the accused please come to the stand?” As his words reverberated throughout the room, I slowly rose from my seat. When I reached the podium, the gazes of the jury pierced me. I glanced into the eyes of those who would decide my fate, all of them raised in a society that forbids excellency in any craft or profession. Although I refrained from showing it, I was very afraid. Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by my name echoing through the courtroom, “Sydney Smith, age 35, is being tried for excellence in the medical field,” the judge stated, “the accused has reportedly been practicing advanced medicinal studies that have not been government approved.”  
“Mrs. Smith, is it true that you have been running advanced illegal tests?” The judge continued. 
“Yes” I replied solemnly, swallowing hard.  
“According to your accusers, not only have you been running illegal tests, but you have been conducting them on human subjects. Is this also true?” 
“Yes,” I grimly admitted, “but the subject was in need of treatment, he was dying, and I believe I have found a way to help him.” 
“Are you aware, Mrs. Smith, that both advanced practices and human testing are highly illegal?” The judge stated warningly. 
“Yes.” I replied, I was starting to sweat now. 
“Do you care to explain yourself?” The judge asked. 
“My patient, Ben Rogers, was suffering from advanced stages of brain cancer. With his condition he was expected only 2 months to live, I offered to subject him to the treatment I had been testing and he willingly accepted. Ben Rogers, a dying man told me that he didn’t care if the treatments killed him, he just wanted a chance to live, so I gave him that chance. 2 months after Ben began treatment, he was still here; not only was he still alive his condition was improving. I have his progress records documented in a journal to prove it. Do we really live in a society where helping people is met with punishment?”  
“No, we live in a society where illegal actions are punished accordingly, Mrs. Smith.” The judge sternly replied.” Your treatments have not been FDA approved and do not conform to medicinal protocol. The data you recorded hasn’t provided enough evidence to suggest your treatments are effective. Your practices are illegal and must be accounted for.” 
My head rose to meet the jury once again. The unsettling sight of disapproving, pitiful expressions and hushed whispers shared between members churned an awful feeling in my stomach, and in that moment, I knew my fate was decided. Momentarily the 12 members of the jury disappeared into a small room and then all returned to their seats except the one who stood to deliver the verdict.  
The man spoke “We the jury find the accused guilty of practicing advanced professions and illegal human testing and sentence her to life in prison without parole.”    
The moment was abruptly ended by the sound of the judge's mallet striking his desk, and I began crying silently at the thought that I had fallen victim to a skewed society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment