Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Forgiveness

I stood with my elbows pressed against the frigid railing of the bridge. Fleetingly my eyes rose to meet hers, but quickly darted away after locking with her melancholy gaze. 
       “I heard dad called,” I finally spoke as I glanced up to meet her solemn face, “ I know that makes thing complicated-“
                “No, it’s really not that complicated,” she interrupted. “He’s a bad person.” She paused, pursing her lips and then continued, “He was an inconsiderate drunk, it’s as simple as that.”
                “Yeah, maybe he was,” I agreed “ but what if he has truly changed like he said?”
                “I would be surprised; I suppose it’s not impossible but he’s never shown to be anything more than a coward,” she bitterly stated. “We spent our childhood believing we were worthless, that we couldn’t do anything right. Everything was always our fault, whenever something went wrong the blame always fell on us.”
                “ Maybe so...” I trailed off momentarily, “even if he hasn’t changed, don’t you want to move on? You’re past has controlled you for years, it’s kept you from so many things that could have benefited or healed you.”
                   “Forgive and forget, is that it?” She retorted, “I’ve heard that one plenty of times.”
                “I’m not asking you to forget, but I am asking you to forgive. I think this is a good opportunity for you to finally have closure. Continuing to live in pain and bitterness is never going to get you anywhere.” 
    “What has he done to deserve my forgiveness?”  She jeered.
     “Maybe he hasn’t done anything, but that’s not the point.” 
                “ If you think I’m going to subject myself to being his punching bag again you’re wrong!”  She cried.
               “I’m not implying that you should subject yourself to his actions and it's not compensating for what he did to you. Forgiving him won’t erase his actions but it will erase the feelings they left behind.” 
At that moment her phone began buzzing, she slowly pulled it out of her coat pocket to reveal the caller ID, ‘Dad’. 
Composition for English Class: October 19,2018

No comments:

Post a Comment